What are Ingrown Toenails?
Ingrown toenails are when the nail grows into the skin. They can cause swelling, redness and pain around the toenail. If left untreated, they can cause infection that can spread. The big toe is the most susceptible to ingrown toenails, but it can affect any of the toes.
The most common causes of ingrown toenails include but are not limited to:
- Ill fitting shoes
- Untrimmed toenails
- Poorly trimmed toenails
- Shoes that are too tight around the toe
- Regular participation in athletic movement
- Poor foot posture such as excessive pronation ( feet roll inward).
The most common symptoms of ingrown toenails mostly include but are not limited to:
- Pain around the toenail (one or both sides)
Treatments for ingrown toenails include but are not limited to:
- Podiatry treatment to remove problematic part of the nail
- Permanent removal of toenail in whole or part
- Wear better fitting shoes
- Orthotics to improve foot function