What are Hammertoes?
Hammertoes are the unnatural curvature or bending of the toes. Hammertoes are usually defined by the end of your toe point down and the first joint of the toe pointing upwards. When viewing a hammertoe from the side, it vaguely resembles the letter "V" upside down.
The most common causes of hammertoes include but are not limited to:
- Wearing shoes that are too small
- Toe injury
The most common symptoms of hammertoes include but are not limited to:
- Pain on the bend of the toe
- Corns and calluses on top of the toe
Treatments for hammertoes include but are not limited to:
- Removal of callused skin to reduce pain
- Padding the area that is in pain
- Wear better fitting shoes